Author Topic: Ice & Flame Crystals  (Read 807 times)

yoshi_5

• View Profile
Ice & Flame Crystals
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »
Hi,

Is there anything that can be done with the Ice & Flame crystals found in the 8th level of the stone passages?

Thanks!

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ice & Flame Crystals
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
Hi,

Is there anything that can be done with the Ice & Flame crystals found in the 8th level of the stone passages?

Thanks!

those are weapons that had been in the game database for a while but never were available until 5.6d gold came out and they were dropped in rooms 3910 and 3911.
i have no experience with them, code support for them is in codebases as early as 1995 and seems both require a group.

yoshi_5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 02:36:08 PM »
Hi Dan,

Looking at TSGARN-D and trying to figure out the items I've put together the attached table.  Wondering if with your knowledge of the behind the scenes stuff going on, maybe explain why the crystals don't appear to do anything..

Note:  No matter how many people I have in my group I continue to get the message "You lack the support necessary to use this item." when trying to use either crystal.  This is the same message you get when trying to use the Rod Of Power either NOT as the leader of the group or without enough people in the group.  For the crystals I get that message no matter if it's the leader of the group trying to use it or a follower.  All members of the group are higher than the minimum level expected as well (which I believe is identified in numbered category #14 in the attached table).

I'm really guessing there is more to it, and I'd really love to know what it is.  I know they are really useless weapons as their min and max damage are nothing really.  However just knowing how to use them would be neat and a puzzle solver..

Looking at the attached table you can see I've included 7 different items and the "ISTT" numbered categories associated with the item(s).  I'd be really interested in knowing if my understanding of any of the item numbered categories are incorrect.  However, in the list you can see that the Rod Of Power numbered category 10 = 3 (which I believe sets how many group members there have to be).   There are 3 unknown "ISTT" numbered categories for which I can't identify, category number 2 and 13 which in the items I've included all have 0's, so I don't think those categories have any meaning.  But, looking at category number "6" you can see the Flame Crystal has a value of 123 there and the Ice Crystal has a value of 122 there.  Do you have any idea what those values stand for?  Those are the only 2 items in the entire 5.6d gold database that have a value in that category...

I'm hoping knowing what the 122 and 123 stand for will maybe solve the puzzle?

Thanks for your feedback Dan!

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 08:57:24 PM »
Hi Dan,

Looking at TSGARN-D and trying to figure out the items I've put together the attached table.  Wondering if with your knowledge of the behind the scenes stuff going on, maybe explain why the crystals don't appear to do anything..

Note:  No matter how many people I have in my group I continue to get the message "You lack the support necessary to use this item." when trying to use either crystal.  This is the same message you get when trying to use the Rod Of Power either NOT as the leader of the group or without enough people in the group.  For the crystals I get that message no matter if it's the leader of the group trying to use it or a follower.  All members of the group are higher than the minimum level expected as well (which I believe is identified in numbered category #14 in the attached table).

I'm really guessing there is more to it, and I'd really love to know what it is.  I know they are really useless weapons as their min and max damage are nothing really.  However just knowing how to use them would be neat and a puzzle solver..

Looking at the attached table you can see I've included 7 different items and the "ISTT" numbered categories associated with the item(s).  I'd be really interested in knowing if my understanding of any of the item numbered categories are incorrect.  However, in the list you can see that the Rod Of Power numbered category 10 = 3 (which I believe sets how many group members there have to be).   There are 3 unknown "ISTT" numbered categories for which I can't identify, category number 2 and 13 which in the items I've included all have 0's, so I don't think those categories have any meaning.  But, looking at category number "6" you can see the Flame Crystal has a value of 123 there and the Ice Crystal has a value of 122 there.  Do you have any idea what those values stand for?  Those are the only 2 items in the entire 5.6d gold database that have a value in that category...

I'm hoping knowing what the 122 and 123 stand for will maybe solve the puzzle?

Thanks for your feedback Dan!

they require group support. one requires 2 and the other 3. so create a group of 3 and use them, they'll work.

yoshi_5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:31:59 PM »
Doesn't work...  :-[

sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »
I made a new account just to say that mine doesn't work either.
I made a group of 4 (knight, high priest, arch magus and necromancer), gave the crystal to my arch magus and I got the same message.

This only adds to my frustrations I've had on level 8 Stone Passages.  The instructions on my map show some jaws that you can close, one which teleports you back to the runestaff area, and the other one is supposed to drop "tons of gold".  I've had no luck with either one, even after straightening all the shields.  They simple don't work, and neither does this flame crystal.  Maybe it's time to throw in the towel and start platinum?  :P

sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 05:06:39 PM »
btw I play on bbs.mnfrost.com
hoping someone joins me some day.. lol

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 07:35:02 PM »
I made a group of 4 (knight, high priest, arch magus and necromancer), gave the crystal to my arch magus and I got the same message.

This only adds to my frustrations I've had on level 8 Stone Passages.  The instructions on my map show some jaws that you can close, one which teleports you back to the runestaff area, and the other one is supposed to drop "tons of gold".  I've had no luck with either one, even after straightening all the shields.  They simple don't work, and neither does this flame crystal.  Maybe it's time to throw in the towel and start platinum?  :P

Code: [Select]
else if (tobj[0].effect==15) {
         count=m=0;
         i=-1;
         rn=usechn-ARNSUB-DUNOFF;
         while (++i<nterms)
           if (((tobj[0].clas==0) || (arnarr[i].clas == tobj[0].clas)) &&
               (chkgrm(i,ugrp,rn) == 1)) count++;
         if ((count>tobj[0].grpsiz) && (ugrp==usrnum)) {
           i=-1;
           while (++i<nterms) {
             if (chkgrm(i,ugrp,rn) == 1) {
               m+=arnarr[i].splpts;
               arnarr[i].splpts=0;
               spldly(45,i);
             }
           }
           dmg=arnrnd((m>>1)*tobj[0].mindam,(m>>1)*tobj[0].maxdam);
            prfmlt(USEDM2,eff,item,"at all hostiles in the area",dmg);
           outmlt(usrnum);
           prfmlt(USEOT2,usaptr->userid,eff,itm,"at all hostiles in the area");
           if (!arnarr[usrnum].invcnt)
             outchn(usechn,usrnum,-1);
           else
             outinv(usechn,usrnum,-1);
           if (trucnt(usechn))
             dmgchr(usrnum,usechn,dmg,-2,-1);
           if (moncnt(usechn-ARNSUB))
             dmgmon(usechn,dmg,-1,-1,0);
           if ((dmg>0) && (arnrnd(1,100) <= ((dmg/100)+1)))
               genmon(usechn-ARNSUB,tobj[0].armor,256,256,0,-1);
         } else {
           prfmlt(NOSUPP);
           outmlt(usrnum);
         }
         u=1;
       } else {
         prfmlt(NOTUSE);
         outmlt(usrnum);
       }

above is from the 5.6 source code referencing the crystals. as you can see you need an x amount in the group and the damage is modified
based on mana.... (odd)

i have a revised 5.6 engine i wrote called Classic feel free to chewck it out if too bored at bbs.arcticzonebbs.net or tinker with some
new stuff in the platinum 2.2 test server at testbbs.arcticzonebbs.net

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »

i dont really play anymore. i spend my free time working on my own variants....

Classic ... 5.6d gold replica
Platinum ... my own custom fork of 5.6
Warfare ... a pvpve experience with 2 factions competing against each other
Reborn ... a complete rework of the game adding in mmo systems like crafting, skill trees, etc....

sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 07:49:01 AM »

count=m=0;
         i=-1;
         rn=usechn-ARNSUB-DUNOFF;
         while (++i<nterms)
           i=-1;
           while (++i<nterms) {
               m+=arnarr[i].splpts;
               arnarr[i].splpts=0;
               spldly(45,i);
             }
           }
           outmlt(usrnum);
           else
           if (trucnt(usechn))
         } else {
           prfmlt(NOSUPP);
           outmlt(usrnum);
         }
         u=1;
       } else {
         prfmlt(NOTUSE);
         outmlt(usrnum);
       }

above is from the 5.6 source code referencing the crystals. as you can see you need an x amount in the group and the damage is modified
based on mana.... (odd)

i have a revised 5.6 engine i wrote called Classic feel free to chewck it out if too bored at bbs.arcticzonebbs.net or tinker with some

I'm not really good with code.  Can you see what the issue might be when you look at the source code? One possibility I thought of is that I need 4 arch magii to make it work, rather than 4 different classes. Or maybe they need to be a certain level?

sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 07:54:31 AM »

i dont really play anymore. i spend my free time working on my own variants....

Classic ... 5.6d gold replica
Platinum ... my own custom fork of 5.6
Warfare ... a pvpve experience with 2 factions competing against each other
Reborn ... a complete rework of the game adding in mmo systems like crafting, skill trees, etc....

I admire that you've gotten your hands so deep into this hobby. I loved this game so much when I was a kid and it's amazing that someone is still working on expanding it.  I'll definitely check out the Platinum more.. I made a new account on az recently to take a peak, and thought your customizable status bar was a really good idea ..

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »

count=m=0;
         i=-1;
         rn=usechn-ARNSUB-DUNOFF;
         while (++i<nterms)
           i=-1;
           while (++i<nterms) {
               m+=arnarr[i].splpts;
               arnarr[i].splpts=0;
               spldly(45,i);
             }
           }
           outmlt(usrnum);
           else
           if (trucnt(usechn))
         } else {
           prfmlt(NOSUPP);
           outmlt(usrnum);
         }
         u=1;
       } else {
         prfmlt(NOTUSE);
         outmlt(usrnum);
       }

based on mana.... (odd)

I'm not really good with code.  Can you see what the issue might be when you look at the source code? One possibility I thought of is that I need 4 arch magii to make it work, rather than 4 different classes. Or maybe they need to be a certain level?

correct... you need 4 of the class the item is for (in this case sorcerers)

Jester Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 07:32:51 PM »
RE: 8th level Stone Passages, the online maps you can find from Starbase 21, the Tele-Arena Shrine tumblr, etc., are incorrect. Here's a better set. Also below is my test from using the ice crystal and flame crystal with 4 Arch Magi in the group. The ice crystal worked as expected. The flame crystal did 0 damage but that's probably because my group was out of mana, and crystal damage is based on your groups' mana pool.

Ultimately they're WAY less mana efficient than 4 arch magi casting dumoti at the same time.

Better Maps:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pu37eolwb2p0r2/STONEPAS.ZIP?dl=1

Crystals:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:35:34 PM by Jester Spirit »