Author Topic: Test Version I  (Read 1622 times)

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Test Version I
« on: February 11, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
so I got the initial engine started, and right now all you can do is connect, logon with your name and password, or type new to create an account, then logon.
Once logged on you only have the X option to logoff (disconnect).

Next phase will be the message file system.

Omega

• View Profile
Re: Test Version I
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
Just curious about your plans for this. I'm hoping to find out if there is a way to run Major BBS modules (specifically, the games made for v6.25) under Linux without actually running the DOS version of MajorBBS. The old system running under DOS just has too many limitations, especially the issue with it pegging the CPU at 100% constantly.

With the right know-how, do you think it would be possible to write a minimal system that can just run the game modules? The way I see it, it would need a basic user database and menu system, and then the hard part... the code that actually runs the modules, which would need to be compatible with MajorBBS 6.25 for DOS. If there was a way to make this sort of MBBS "interpreter", it would negate the need for running the old DOS based system and associated VM or emulators, etc.

I'm assuming it's logically possible, but would require in-depth knowledge of how MajorBBS "talks" to the modules and vice-versa. Or is my logic flawed, and the whole thing is too dependent on DOS and Phar Lap to ever work on anything else?

-Omega