Author Topic: What is Tele-Arena II  (Read 220 times)

Darthenzar

• View Profile
What is Tele-Arena II
« on: January 10, 2024, 03:06:05 PM »
Was wondering what the difference is between tele-arena classic and Tele-Area 2?  Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I wasn't really sure where this question would best go.

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is Tele-Arena II
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 03:55:08 AM »
Was wondering what the difference is between tele-arena classic and Tele-Area 2?  Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I wasn't really sure where this question would best go.

so Sean Ferrell worked on a new tele-arena after his gold release in 1996 and was gonna release it.
the project never got finished, though he did sort of complete it.
the engine itself was done but the world was only about 100 rooms and no runes.

he added several different gameplay enhancements and quality of life changes but the biggest change
was the graphical client.

so Worldgroup had something called client/server mode where the sysop would offer you an executable client that connected to their bbs in graphical mode. addons created could also have plugins so they offered a graphical mode and Sean utilized this.
i got my hands on the source about 3 years ago and it was a mess but i did manage to clean it up, the problem is the client itsself  was misssing so many sound and graphical files i had to create them and a WAV/BMP editor in 2021 wasnt exactly an easy find.

my biggest challenge now is creating a world. his original vision was a new world but i am just gonna redo the original 5.6 world and the downside is i have to have a graphic for each monster, sound file for each spell, graphic for each room, so its been a cha;;enge but still something i goto when i want a change of pace or scenery.

Darthenzar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 09:18:57 PM »

my biggest challenge now is creating a world. his original vision was a new world but i am just gonna redo the original 5.6 world and the downside is i have to have a graphic for each monster, sound file for each spell, graphic for each room, so its been a cha;;enge but still something i goto when i want a change of pace or scenery.

If this was made, I think it would be a huge disappointment using the 5.6d world.  If it was a completely new world with some different progression styles in it.  Like instead of retreading the same story maybe there is some new thing that needs collecting Like Shards or Crystals and once you have them all they you combine them for an in-game ending event to happen for your character.  When you make a 2nd version of a game or sequel you don't use the same story and a lot of time, you're exploring new lands on the same realm.   

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 04:25:27 AM »

If this was made, I think it would be a huge disappointment using the 5.6d world.  If it was a completely new world with some different progression styles in it.  Like instead of retreading the same story maybe there is some new thing that needs collecting Like Shards or Crystals and once you have them all they you combine them for an in-game ending event to happen for your character.  When you make a 2nd version of a game or sequel you don't use the same story and a lot of time, you're exploring new lands on the same realm.

problem with that is for example the stock game is 3096 rooms, 72 spells, 141 monsters and each once of those would need a graphic/sound file and i think 2024 is just a bit too late to try and build an entire new world using 2d tile mapping and wav files. back with a dos pc and windows 3.11 when it first came out in 96 yeah it woul;d probably been a hell of a profitable game if sean had finished it.
when i first got the code i wanted to create a system where the sysop with the game can create whatever they want so they create a room, then a bmp file and move on and if any are missing instead of crashing it would default to a stock one.
one of my biggest obstacles was relocating all of the visual basic 3 assets. alot of those widget kits are unavailable now i did manage to find some of them hidden in very old dos products found on winworldpc.com but i am still a little short on it. out the box the game is like 100 rooms i think, and its pure speculation of course, but i think he made it to show off what it "could" be and either never got the funding or just graduated college or something and never finished.

Darthenzar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 06:20:44 PM »
Honestly there is such a small market for text only based games these days.  What I really wish is someone would come along and make a graphical 3d version of the game.   That would be exciting.  Yes a ton of work and knowledge needed to build it but it would be so sweet to see this happen.  Or perhaps some form of an APP game.

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 05:50:10 PM »
Honestly there is such a small market for text only based games these days.  What I really wish is someone would come along and make a graphical 3d version of the game.   That would be exciting.  Yes a ton of work and knowledge needed to build it but it would be so sweet to see this happen.  Or perhaps some form of an APP game.

with unreal engine asset packs you could make a game like this for a few thousand really. sell it on app stores for like 9.99 you could easily make it back.

its the time...

on the test game notes though, muds have really picked up over the past 5 years. there are some muds out there that got a few hundred players at a time.

its about being more than hack and slash. puzzles, events, etc... etc...

Daniel Spain

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 07:33:07 AM »

one thing i considered over the years was either using rpg maker or roblox studio to replicate a 3d world and game but it never panned out.
all the assets are there you just put it all together.
a recent survey showed that players still love those final fantasy i/legend of zelda type games especially on mobile devices as those assets do not
require alot and produce no lag. you can even get multiplayer addons and have multiple players in the game.